Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Automatic Volume Recycling

2012-04-03 09:32:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Automatic Volume Recycling
From: Ward Poelmans <wpoely86 AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 15:30:32 +0200
On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 15:17, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Ward Poelmans <wpoely86 AT gmail DOT com>
> wrote:

>> volume is thus marked as 'used'. From the docs, I though this meant
>> that the volumes are kept for a period of 1 year before being pruned
>> and reused. However, now 6 months have passed and jobs are being
>> pruned.
>
> You are seeing the 6 month job retention here. In your case this will
> not work for exactly the reason you observe.

Well, from the docs: "The Volume Retention record defines the length
of time that Bacula will guarantee that the Volume is not reused
counting from the time the last job stored on the Volume terminated."
It also doesn't make sense to recycle as soon as the job no longer
exists in the database. I limit the job retention period to keep the
database small but I can keep the volumes a lot longer without
problem.

Ward