Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Best method for managing mtx "Data Transfer Element" numbers to scsi tape

2012-04-02 11:14:13
Subject: [Bacula-users] Best method for managing mtx "Data Transfer Element" numbers to scsi tape
From: "Clark, Patricia A." <clarkpa AT ornl DOT gov>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 11:12:35 -0400
I am new to Bacula and I am in the process of installing and configuring the
software.  Something that is giving me some headaches is the mtx numbering on
the drives vs the /dev/st assignments.  The output of the mtx status on the
auto changer and the the device assignment is below:

Data Transfer Element 0:Empty  <-- /dev/st5

Data Transfer Element 1:Empty  <-- /dev/st1

Data Transfer Element 2:Empty  <-- /dev/st0

Data Transfer Element 3:Empty  <-- /dev/st2

Data Transfer Element 4:Empty  <-- /dev/st3

Data Transfer Element 5:Empty  <-- /dev/st4

Ideally, I'd like the numbering to correspond, but I'm finding that would take
writing some udev rules.  I don't have any experience in doing that and most
examples reference writing for sd.  I know I assign the index number to the
device in bacula-sd.  So, should the naming convention work best to match the
transfer element or the scsi tape number?  I'v found some references to the use
of environment variables for the tape devices.  I can see where this would be
helpful in scripts.  What is the "rule of thumb" for addressing this issue?

Patti Clark
Information International Associates, Inc.
Linux Administrator and subcontractor to:
Research and Development Systems Support Oak Ridge National Laboratory