Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Full backup forced if client changes

2012-03-24 19:48:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Full backup forced if client changes
From: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: Steve Thompson <smt AT vgersoft DOT com>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 23:46:05 +0000
> Bacula 5.0.2. For the following example job:
>
> <snip>
>
> more than one client is available to backup the (shared) storage. If I change
> the name of the client in the Job definition, a full backup always occurs the
> next time a job is run. How do I avoid this?

That's definitely going to confuse Bacula. As far as it is concerned you are
backing up a separate client with separate storage.

You might be able to invent a new name for the client and put it in /etc/hosts
and change /etc/hosts when you want to back up via a different host. I'm not
sure how that works for the fd<->sd connection though.

DNS with a very short TTL (eg measured in seconds) might work too, as long as
you wait for a bit between changing the DNS entry and starting the backup.

James