Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] new jobs cannot spool until existing jobs finish despooling?

2012-03-23 13:15:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] new jobs cannot spool until existing jobs finish despooling?
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: mark.bergman AT uphs.upenn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 18:13:49 +0100
Hello Mark,

On 03/23/2012 05:43 PM, mark.bergman AT uphs.upenn DOT edu wrote:
> In the message dated: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 09:20:52 BST,
> The pithy ruminations from Kern Sibbald on
> <Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] new jobs cannot spool until existing jobs
> fi
> nish despooling?>  were:
> =>  Hello,
> =>
> =>  This is in response to the email from Jesper (see below).  As it is
> =>  not always obvious, I am not in the least upset in any way.  This is
>
> I'm glad you stated this so clearly, because, to me, you message below
> does sound like you are upset, resentful about the effort you have
> expended and the lack of community response, and regretful about some
> of the business decisions.

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt.  To reiterate,
I am not at all upset or resentful about the time I have put in
or the community response.  I have stated certain things that I
have observed, but that doesn't mean I am upset.   From my
own personal stand point, I have never contributed cash to
any Open Source project, except once to Source Forge, which
really is not Open Source, so I didn't and don't expect the
the community to contribute cash.

As I pointed out, the community has been a *big* help in getting
Bacula to where it is, and I am certain that help will continue.

> =>  meant to be information about our future direction, and more
> =>  directly a response to Jesper's concerns and questions.
>
> Given that we currently depend on Bacula, I appreciate the information.
>
>       [SNIP!]
>
> =>
> =>  A community member does not need SAN shared storage for
> =>  example -- or if you do and you consider yourself community, that is
> =>  fine with
> =>  me, but you will need an Enterprise contract.  There are a *lot* of

First no matter what hardware or software you have, you are not in
violation of any Bacula license unless you redistribute Bacula and
refuse a valid request for the source to the person to who you
distributed the code (*extremely* unlikely).

The SAN shared storage is a Bacula Enterprise Storage daemon
plugin currently in testing with a *big* company in Switzerland.
It allows several Storage daemons to use the same autochanger
on a SAN.  The fact that that plugin exists and you have SAN
doesn't in the least connect the two.

> I need some clarification on this point as soon as possible.
>
> I am using the Bacula community edition for a small educational research
> lab.  We have a SAN. We use shared storage. It sounds like you are
> saying that we are in violation of the license in some way because of
> the hardware in our environment.
>
> If an Enterprise contract is required, as you state above, then I will
> begin to look for an alternative to Bacula immediately, and cease using
> the community edition as soon as possible.

No an Enterprise contract is not required for anyone.  You don't
need to look for an alternative.

> The Bacula Enterprise license cost is well outside our budget.

I often hear remarks like that, but I spent 4 years at the University of
California,
then 6 getting a doctorate at the University of Maryland, then 6 more
years teaching and working in the Computer Science Center as a
staff member, and so I know that Universities and government
agencies spend a *lot* of money on hardware, hardware maintenance,
and software (not to mention salaries).   It is a question of
getting one's need into the budget, which is usually defined
once a year.  A very reasonable amount of money *is* there
if there is a desire and need.

Best regards,
Kern