Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] new jobs have to wait for despooling to finish?

2012-03-19 16:44:16
Subject: [Bacula-users] new jobs have to wait for despooling to finish?
From: Stephen Thompson <stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:25:10 -0700
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could confirm what I've noticed on my own
instance of bacula, which seems contrary to the Bacula manual.

 From DataSpooling section:
> If you are running multiple simultaneous jobs, Bacula will continue spooling
> other jobs while one is despooling to tape, provided there is sufficient
> spool file space.

This seems to be true, only if the jobs in question were launched at the
same time/concurrently.  New jobs launched while a job is despooling,
are launched into a "running" state, but they do not begin to spool
until the existing job(s) finish despooling.

This is very sad, because I just came into a windfall of spool space and
I was hoping to run jobs back to back, such that while one set of jobs
were despooling, I could have the next set spooling, and so on.

I see an old bug 0001231 with a similar issue, which in the history it
is pointed out that it may not be that new jobs can't spool while
existing jobs despool, but that the new jobs cannot verify that they
will have tape access, which is a step before spooling begins.

I wonder if this is the state of affairs and if there are any plans to
improve upon this inefficiency.

thanks!
Stephen
--
Stephen Thompson               Berkeley Seismological Laboratory
stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu    215 McCone Hall # 4760