Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Large backup to tape?

2012-02-29 23:45:03
Subject: [Bacula-users] Large backup to tape?
From: Erich Weiler <weiler AT soe.ucsc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 20:23:14 -0800
Hey Y'all,

So I have a Dell ML6010 tape library that holds 41 LTO-5 tapes, all
barcoded with labels from the manufacturer.  I want to use bacula to
back up our dataset, and I've not used bacula before and am sorting
through the documentation to get things set up.  I have a few questions
I was hoping someone could answer!

The fileset I'm backing up is about 200TB large total (each file is
about 300GB big).  So, not only will it use every tape in the tape
library (41 tapes), but we'll have to refill the tape library about 6
times to get the whole thing backed up.  After that I want to just do
incrementals against the initial Full Backup; the files will never
change, they will just be added to as time moves on.  So this is kind of
like an archival solution.  I can control the autoloader with the
mtx-changer script just fine, it totally works as expected.

So, I guess a have a couple basic questions.  When it uses all the tapes
in the library in a single job (200TB! 41 tapes only hold 60TB), will it
simply pause, send me an email saying it's waiting for new media, then I
load 41 new tapes?  Then tell it to resume, and it uses the next 41, ad
nauseum?

And, if I want to make 2 copies of the tapes, can I simply configure 2
differently named jobs that each backup the same fileset?

Also, do I need to manually "label" the tapes (electronically) as I load
them, or will the fact that the autoloader automatically reads the new
barcodes be enough?

Thanks for any hints.  And, if you know any "gotchas" I should watch for
during this process, please let me know!  I don't want bacula expiring
the tapes ever, or re-using them, as the data will never change and we
need to keep it forever.

Many thanks,
erich