Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Scheduling hourly backups with different levels and pools

2012-02-23 02:10:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Scheduling hourly backups with different levels and pools
From: Joe Nyland <joenyland AT me DOT com>
To: Bacula Users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 07:08:22 +0000
On 23 Feb 2012, at 00:50, Jérôme Blion wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 15:13:26 +0000 (GMT), Joe Nyland wrote:

>>> backups.

>>> moment,

>>> kind
>>> the

>>> full

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> As far as I see, you only have 2 pools, one for each type.
>>> Why don't you use hourly keyword to schedule incrementals backups ?
>>>
>>> HTH.
>>> Jérôme Blion.

>> Jérôme and John, thank you for your replies.
>>
>> Jérôme, yes that's right. For this type of job and this schedule, I
>> am dealing with two pools. I am aware of the hourly keyword. Whilst
>> this keyword appears to be just what I need, my concern with using it
>> is that at 00:00, I would get a full backup initiated by my schedule,
>> but also an incremental backup at 00:00 too, due to the hourly
>> keyword, would I not?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Joe
>
> Several points which could help you:
> - Incremental hourly at 0:17 ==> just plan the incremental few minutes before
> the full starts.
> - in the script to run, just return 0 if the full backup is already runnning.
> - The schedule won't start if another instance is running. Perhaps you could
> create 2 schedules...
>
> HTH.
> Jérôme Blion.

Thanks for your suggestions, but I'm not sure I understand them fully, I'm
afraid. However, I think I can deduce that there's no tidy way of achieving
this.

I was hoping there would be some ability to specify a range for the hourly
keyword, however it seems there's not.

Still, I can't complain :-)

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Joe