Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula Events and Python Scripting

2012-02-14 09:46:46
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula Events and Python Scripting
From: Mingus Dew <shon.stephens AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:44:46 -0500
Dear All,
     I am currently truncating volumes on disk manually. In my disk
pools I keep 5 volumes (max volumes = 5) . Each of these volumes is
limited with max jobs = 6 * N-clients (incremental volumes) and max
jobs = 1 * N-clients (full volumes). All the volumes have the Action
On Purge value set to Truncate. Each week I purge and truncate the
oldest volume manually.

     I intend to write a Python script to do this, but was hoping to
get some advice on Bacula events and feedback on my plan of attack.

The documentation states that "A Bacula event is a point in the Bacula
code where Bacula will call a subroutine (actually a method) that you
have defined in the Python StartUp script. Events correspond to some
significant event such as a Job Start, a Job End, Bacula needs a new
Volume Name, ... When your script is called, it will have access to
all the Bacula variables specific to the Job (attributes of the Job
Object), and it can even call some of the Job methods (subroutines) or
set new values in the Job attributes, such as the Priority. You will
see below how the events are used."

However, is there some other documentation where a list of actual
defined Events is, or is an event anything we can define in the
method?

I envision that the Python code will work something like:

When a Full Job ends,
Check Volumes in the Pool for status Used
Select the oldest written Volume and Purge it with Action = Truncate

When an Incr Job ends,
Check how many previous Incr Jobs have run since last Full
If the Incr Job is the last before next Full,
Check Volumes in the Pool for status Used
Select the oldest written Volume and Purge it with Action = Truncate

Yours,
Shon