Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] FreeBSD 9 and ZFS with compression - should be fine?

2012-02-09 14:23:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] FreeBSD 9 and ZFS with compression - should be fine?
From: Steven Schlansker <steven AT likeness DOT com>
To: Mark <bacula-list AT nerdish DOT us>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 11:21:35 -0800
On Feb 9, 2012, at 11:05 AM, Mark wrote:
> Steven, out of curiosity, do you see any benefit with dedup (assuming that
> bacula volumes are the only thing on a given zfs volume).  I did some initial
> trials and it appeared that bacula savesets don't dedup much, if at all, and
> some searching around pointed to the bacula volume format writing a unique
> value (was it jobid?) to every block, so no two blocks are ever the same.
> I'd backup hundreds of gigs of data and the dedupratio always remained 1.00x.

I didn't do any research, but can confirm that it seems to be useless to turn
dedup on.  My pool has always been at 1.00x
I'm going to turn it off because from what I hear dedup is pretty expensive to
run, especially if you don't actually save anything by it.
On the flip side, compression seems to be a very big win.  I'm seeing ratios
from 1.7 to 2.5x savings and the CPU usage is claimed to be relatively cheap.