Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Recycling not respecting Volume Retention

2012-02-06 12:14:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Recycling not respecting Volume Retention
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 17:12:41 GMT

> Hello!
>
> I've some problems with bacula 5.2.5 (maybe < 5.2.5) Volume
> Retention.... It looks bacula is recycling volumes when no one is left,
> even before volume retention period expires.... Although bacula purged
> all jobs and files from volume, it should respect volume retention,
> don't it?
>
> For testing purposes, I've downloaded, compiled and installer bacula
> 5.2.5, changing only Pool file settings:
>    Volume Use Duration = 1 minute
>    Volume Retention = 1 day
> and Client bacula-fd:
>    File Retention = 1 minute
>    Job Retention = 1 minute
>
> So, I've created 2 volumes, Vol1 and Vol2. Then, I ran a backup job,
> that was stored at Vol1. 1 minute later, ran another backup, Vol1 was
> marked as used, files and job at Vol1 was purged, and backup was stored
> at Vol2.
>
> Another minute later I ran another backup. This time, Vol1 was recycled
> and backup was stored on it. Since Volume Retention was set to 1 day and
> manual says about Recycling Algorithm: "Prune volumes applying Volume
> retention period (Volumes with VolStatus Full, Used, or Append are
> pruned). Note, even if all the File and Job records are pruned from a
> Volume, ***the Volume will not be marked Purged until the Volume
> retention period expires***."
> (http://www.bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/main/main/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html),
>
> Vol1 shouldn't have been recycled... But log shows "There are no more
> Jobs associated with Volume "Vol1". Marking it purged."
>
> Any ideas?

I don't know if that is a bug in software or the doc, but is has been that way
for a long time.

Volumes with no remaining jobs will be recycled before their Volume Retention
has expired, so the best option is to use a much larger Job Retention.  That
won't affect size of the catalog database too badly, because it is mainly
affected by the number of file records (from the File Retention).

__Martin