Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Archived tapes and pools question

2012-02-06 08:33:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Archived tapes and pools question
From: Cristóbal Sabroe Yde <cris AT uti.unrc.edu DOT ar>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 10:30:48 -0300
El 03/02/12 15:21, John Drescher escribió:
2012/2/3 John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>:
Hi, I'm updating our backup system and particularly have this issue that I still can't figure out how to implement:

Scenario:
I make full backup of our servers every friday and diferentials monday to thursdays. I use one tape each week containing exactly everything needed from that week. The jobs belongs to the Default pool.
Every tape gets recycled after 8 weeks, but once every six months I take the last 2 tapes and archive them (one on-site and the other off-site).

Question:
I would like to make a pool for mantaining the archived volumes with a longer retention period. I can make such pool, but how can I move the catalog info from the Default pool to this pool without copying the entire volume information to a new volume? Is it possible?
I see that Migration moves also the information to a new volume.

Would it be too much to make an independent backup for the archive?
You can add an additional Run= line to your schedule resource
overriding the pool for the archive. Then you do not have to migrate
or copy anything.
When I think of this your weekly incrementals for the next week would
probably be based on the archive. You probably will not want that.
Sorry for the noise..
That is true.... but maybe I could run additional full backups for archiving prior to the regular full backups... this could be messy. It would be much easier for me to say "ok, this two volumes goes to Archiving" twice a year. Besides this has the benefit of not over-using the tapes.

I'm thinking doing the following:

sun: Full backup (all my full take around 10-11 hs. to complete)
mon-fri: differential

sat: twice every 6 month (last 2 saturdays from june and december) for archiving.

Questions:
- is there such a way to define the "last" saturday of june? Sometimes will be the 4th and sometimes the 5th.
- Maybe I should just define the pool and run the backup manually using the "archive" pool. -> how can I set the volume as "used" after the last backup?
- What's your experience programming archiving tapes on bacula?

Thank you
Cristóbal
John

--