Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 5.2.5 and Mac

2012-02-02 15:19:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 5.2.5 and Mac
From: Marco van Wieringen <mvw AT planets.elm DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 20:17:55 +0000 (UTC)
Mike Hobbs <mhobbs <at> mtl.mit.edu> writes:

> On 01/31/2012 12:44 PM, Marco van Wieringen wrote:
> > Was this a backup and restore on the same client with the same
> > daemon ?
>
> I have run another restore.. the issue seems to be my fault.  If I
> restore directly to the Mac, I do not get these errors.  If I restore to
> a non-Mac, as I did before, I restored to a Linux machine, I do get the
> errors.  This makes sense.

Yes the ACL/XATTR and the Mac specific streams can only be restored with
a MAC filed. For any other platform the specific data makes no sense.
So yes that explains what you were seeing. It did trigger me to fix
one minor problem where it printed the wrong error message but
that should be fixed soon. So it was not completely pointless in
looking at things.

> > Could you send me the content of src/config.h to see what config
> > options got enabled. (Offline sending is ok).
>
> I don't have this any longer, but if you really would like to see it I
> can build bacula again.   I think the issue was that I didn't restore to
> a Mac client.

Some streams e.g. backup data only makes sense on certain platforms
that is why things like acl and xattr are currently not restored
cross platform e.g. from Linux to Mac or from Linux to Solaris etc.
The data is formated using platform specific routines and as
such doesn't make much sense on a different platform. Linux to Linux
restores just work even if its from RHEL to Suse or any other distribution.

So for me this problem is closed as a non problem but works as designed.

Marco