Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Trouble with Accurate flag

2012-01-19 03:15:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Trouble with Accurate flag
From: Christian Manal <moenoel AT informatik.uni-bremen DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 09:12:56 +0100
Am 19.01.2012 00:12, schrieb Peter:

> A couple of weeks ago I decided to add the
>       Accurate = yes
> flag to my backup jobs. I thought it shouldn't do any harm and
> might make restores more precise.
>
> This worked fine until yesterday. Yesterday, all of a sudden,
> my incremental backups decided to backup ALL EXISTING FILES
> (and not only the changed ones)! At least they tried to - they
> ran out of storage, as this was not planned. Luckily, so I
> noticed the crap.
>
> I did check the usual possibilities and didn't find a problem -
> the timestamps of my files hadn't been tampered with, the fileset
> description hadn't been modified, and there was no failed full backup
> in the database which could have triggered a new full backup.
> Also, the joblog entry looked okay so far:
>
>   Backup Level:           Incremental, since=2012-01-16 09:12:26
>   FileSet:                "SysBack" 2008-02-10 06:46:30
>   Scheduled time:         17-Jan-2012 09:12:00
>
> I am doing daily Incrementals and this here correctly shows the time
> from Monday morning to Tuesday morning.
> I restarted client and server and retried, but still it insisted in
> saving EVERY file.
>
> Then I removed the Accurate flag, and instantly the backup worked
> as it should!
>
> Then I figured - I had run OffSite backups during the night from
> Monday to Tuesday!
>
> My backup scheme is as follows: daily Incremental, monthly Full.
> And occasionally I run additional Full backups onto tape, to be
> stored in a remote location.
>
> These OffSite backups are using the same Client and Fileset, but
> different Job.
> And obviousely they do not write Catalog (fileinfo), because these
> tapes aren't intended for single-file-restore.
>
> Obviousely these full backups, which have no catalog info, are
> used as the information-source for the Accurate flag! And with
> no Catalog Info, it looked like there were no files at all contained
> in the previous backup, and therefore EVERY file would be saved in
> the Incremental, disregarding timestamps.
>
> Understood so far, the solution was simple: I added another
> Client-stanza with a different name for each machine, and let the OffSite
> Backups run with that different Client name. I modified the old OffSite
> jobs in the database to that new Client-id, and now everything seems
> to behave fine again.
>
> Then I checked the manual. The manual says:
>   > In accurate mode, the File daemon knowns exactly which files were
>   > present after the last backup.
> But it does not say how we define "the last backup".
>
> Whereas the "Incremental" Feature clearly defines what is the last
> backup:
>   > all files specified in the FileSet that have changed since the
>   > last successful backup of the the same Job using the same FileSet
>   > and Client, will be backed up
>
> So, obviousely the Accurate Flag uses a different information-source
> [...]

Hi,

I had a similar problem a while back. The thing with accurate backups
is, that only the client name and the fileset are used to identify
previous jobs. Here's the thread:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4DD38789.2010007%40informatik.uni-bremen.de&forum_name=bacula-users

Regards,
Christian Manal