Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Cleaning LOG.MYD

2012-01-09 19:34:49
Subject: [Bacula-users] Cleaning LOG.MYD
From: Eric Pratt <eric.pratt AT etouchpoint DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 15:36:26 -0800
I have a 17GB LOG.MYD file in my MySQL's bacula database.  This is because a previous configuration our bacula instance was using MySQL as a log destination.  We no longer want that and have set our logs to go to text files that can be rotated.

As I understand it, Bacula will purge these logs when their associated job entries are purged.  We are using Bacula to perform archives as well as backups so we are keeping data around for a very long time.  I would like to continue to keep the data in volumes with the ability to restore it but disregard log entries about it.

So I'm left with a 17GB table.  Of course, our MySQL backups are backing this table up with regularity and I'd like to stop that and free up some disk space in the process.  This file has not been modified in a month so I'm confident nothing else is writing to it.  Is it safe to clean this table out?  If so, what is the safest or easiest way to clean that table out? (bonus points if safest and easiest are the same!)  What are the repercussions of wantonly wiping out all entries in this table?

Eric