Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] tuning lto-4

2011-11-30 11:47:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] tuning lto-4
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: gary artim <gartim AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 16:45:13 +0000
gary artim wrote:
> Hi --
>
> Getting about 41.6/MBs and hoping for closer to the max (120MB). I
> tried maximum file sizes of 5, 8, 12GB -- 12GB the best the others
> where about 35/MBs. Any advise welcomed...should I look at max/min
> block sizes?

Don't adjust min size.

Bacula's max block size is ~2Mb (default 65535 bytes) and setting this
should give a substantial speed boost (it did for me). Going higher than
bacula's maximum will result in it failing throught to default, so
double check the block size on a newly labelled tape before committing
to any value.

WARNING: If you adjust this value, mark all current tapes as USED before
restarting bacula-sd. Changing block size on an open tape is likely to
lead to problems getting data off it.

LTO drives tend to have 16Mb maximum buffers. Perhaps Bacula's max block
size needs increasing? (Kern?)

You should also enable spooling to _very_ fast disk before hitting the
tape. LTO3 upwards will easily run faster than any spinning media and
trivially outrun even a raid array if that has to do any seeking.

I use a raid0 set of 5 of Intel E25 60Gb drives and have seen
throughputs approaching 700Mb/s out to 3 tape drives whilst other jobs
are spooling (I've got 7 LTO5 drives carrying 6 pools but have never
seen more than 3 writing simultaneously). These days I'd be more
inclined to use one of the PCIe SSD cards as they're even faster, with
less overhead.

> Device {
>   Name = LTO-4
>   Media Type = LTO-4
>   Archive Device = /dev/nst0
>   AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
>   AlwaysOpen = yes;
>   RemovableMedia = yes;
>   RandomAccess = no;
>   Maximum File Size = 12GB

   Maximum Network Buffer Size = 65536
   Maximum block size = 2M

   Spool Directory = /var/bacula/spool/LTO4
   Maximum Spool Size     = 280G
   Maximum Job Spool Size = 150G

>   Autochanger = yes
>   Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"
>   Alert Command = "sh -c 'smartctl -H -l error %c'"
> }

Enlarging network buffers is possible but it must be be the same
everywhere and should be thoroughly tested first as it can as easily
cause complete breakage as speedups - especially if backups are taking
place across a routed network instead of just on your LAN.

AB