Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to write one job to two storage devices simultaneously

2011-10-24 10:17:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to write one job to two storage devices simultaneously
From: Oliver Hoffmann <oh AT dom DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 16:15:45 +0200
> On 10/21/11 04:49, Rushdhi Mohamed wrote:
> > How to write one job to two storage devices simultaneously??
>
> Bacula does not - yet - have this capability.
>
> > I have a large amount of data to backup and I choose Bacula to
> > automate them.
> >
> > I have to storage devices one is NAS and other one is a tape drive.
> >
> > My problem is, when I run a backup job , it should write to NAS and
> > tape at the same time.
> >
> > How it is possible ?
>
> The NAS will be VERY much faster than the tape drive.  Could you run
> the backup to your NAS, and then run a copy job to the tape drive
> after it completes?  This will also free up your client faster.
>
> Caveat:  The NAS and the tape drive MUST be controlled by the same
> storage daemon for this to work.

Hi,

I have the same issue right now as well. I do my backups on an attached
raid, which works very well. But I need a copy in order to have the
backups outside of the room where the servers reside.
My first approach was to simply copy the volume files, the catalog and
the bacula config files to an external usb drive. I do not have any
tape drive there (yet).

I could tinker a new bacula server with those files in case of a
disaster or manipulate the volume files directly with the b-tools.

I played around with "Next Pool = usb1" and different pools on my usb
drives but it didn't work properly and in the end it is much to complex
to handle.

Cheers,

Oliver