Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] IBM LTO-2 errors

2011-10-18 12:09:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] IBM LTO-2 errors
From: Tom Plancon <tplancon AT bkaarchs DOT com>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 12:05:39 -0400
John,

Thanks much for the quick response! Makes me feel a bit better!
Any thoughts on the orange light and #2 issue?

Thanks again!

On 10/18/2011 11:52 AM, John Drescher wrote:
2011/10/18 Tom Plancon <tplancon AT bkaarchs DOT com>:
Hi All,
I've purchased a "refurbished" IBM Ultrium LTO-2 tape drive, and I'm running
off a CentOS 5.6 system with Bacula 5.0.2. Generally it seems to work OK,
doing backups and restores. However, I see errors like the following:

Connecting to Storage daemon Ultrium2 at emperor-ii:9103 ...
Sending label command for Volume "projTape-001" Slot 0 ...

block.c:1016 Read error on fd=5 at file:blk 0:0 on device "LTO-2"
(/dev/st0). ERR=Input/output error.
This is not really an error. This is actually a normal situation. A
tape drive can only read bytes that have been written to a tape. So
when bacula tries to read the header on a new tape, the tape drive /
mt will send back an error. In the past there has been a few debates
whether or not this message should have been filtered from the user
but for now it is displayed.

3000 OK label. VolBytes=64512 DVD=0 Volume="projTape-001" Device="LTO-2"
(/dev/st0)
Catalog record for Volume "projTape-001", Slot 0  successfully created.
Requesting to mount LTO-2 ...
3001 Device "LTO-2" (/dev/st0) is mounted with Volume "projTape-001"

As you can see it completes the label successfully and does read and write
OK. Also I see an "orange" flashing light with a "2" in the LED display
frequently pop up. Usually running a cleaning tape and a "warm" reset with
the eject button clears this up for a while but then it re-appears.

Any help on what these "errors" might mean and how to clear them up
permanently are appreciated!

BTW - am I correct in thinking the mailing list on Sourceforge is NOT
searchable?

Thanks.

--
Thomas E. Plancon