Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula director stops unexpectedly // debian

2011-10-12 07:20:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula director stops unexpectedly // debian
From: Konstantin Khomoutov <flatworm AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 15:18:06 +0400
On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 01:33:47 -0700
dobbin <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

> Good morning, we've got a debian sarge server running bacula-director
> 3.0.2.3
>
> It's been running for about 4 years now but just recently it's
> started developing a problem where it will stop for no apparent
> reason. There's no error messages, nothing that I can find in the
> logs (although there's masses of data, I could be missing it, I don't
> see anything leading up to the stop though) after the second time we
> set nagios to monitor the number of processes so we'd get alerted
> when it stopped. Sometimes it will go a week without stopping and
> sometimes it will stop five times a night, always when running
> backups.
>
> When I restart the bacula director, it runs fine but sometimes if I
> re-run the backup that it was running when it failed then it stops
> againi, but not always.
>
> I've just looked at the bacula database and it's 37gb, could that be
> the problem?
>
> Sorry for being so vague but can anyone give me any pointers on where
> to look next?
I would try running it in foreground with full debug mode turned on.
Since the process should be long-running, you'll probably want to run
it in a screen session.
Something like this should work:
$ bacula-dir -f -d 10 -v 2>&1 | tee /path/to/a/log/file
I'm not sure about the exact value to use with -d, some experimentation
may be required.
More hardcore options would be running it under strace or gdb.
But strace wouldn't show you a problem with memory allocation for
instance and gdb requires presence of debug symbols to provide for
useful post-mortem analysis.