Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] recommendations for failover system backups

2011-10-06 08:37:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] recommendations for failover system backups
From: Ben Walton <bwalton AT artsci.utoronto DOT ca>
To: shouldbe q931 <shouldbeq931 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 08:35:04 -0400
Excerpts from shouldbe q931's message of Thu Oct 06 07:10:54 -0400 2011:

> With most active/passive paired servers that I have implemented,
> backup is run on the "passive" server and is the primary recovery
> source.

Yes, that's where I was headed.  I guess that I probably wasn't clear
that I was asking more for bacula best practices with such a setup
than overall practices (eg: policy).  Sorry for not being clear.

Is it even sane to point bacula at the shared ip and treat the two
systems as three clients?

> You mention having a shared IP, for "clustered" systems, I would
> probably look to have a more frequent sync than daily unless you can
> "replace" the daily "changes" via a different method.

This won't be a clustered system as the failover is meant for rapid
recovery not "no data loss."  (We are running drbd with corosync for
other situations, but that doesn't fit in this case.)  The shared IP
in this instance is just so that a name can move between the systems
if required.  The sync interval could be more frequent, but the point
is that it's not real-time.

I appreciate your answer.  It's quite helpful.

Thanks
-Ben
--
Ben Walton