Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Need Some Help with Backup Strategy

2011-09-27 14:36:45
Subject: [Bacula-users] Need Some Help with Backup Strategy
From: "Palmer, David W." <dwpalmer AT cazenovia DOT edu>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 14:15:33 -0400
Hello,

I need some input on my backup strategy. Here is my setup:

1 -  LTO3  24 slot autochanger with one drive.

1 -  6.5 TB Openfiler SAN

1 - 17 TB Openfiler SAN

30 Servers with around 8 TB of Data.

I am trying to figure out a backup schedule that will allow all the data to be
backed up during the open backup windows as well as allow for long term
retention. Here is my current idea:

Pools:
Monthly Pool
        -Retention 2 months
        -Storage is the 17TB San

Daily Pool
        - 1 month retention
        - Storage is the 6.5 TB San

Monthly Archive Pool
         - 1 Year Retention
        - Autochanger for storage

Yearly Archive
        - 7 Year retention
        - Autochanger for storage

Schedule:

        1st Saturday of the month Monthly full backup are made to Monthly Pool

        Daily incremental occur every day after Monthly Full Backup to Daily
Pool

        3rd Sunday previous monthly backup is copied to Monthly Archive

        Yearly Archive is run at the end of December

Does this seem like a good plan? Should I be running weekly fulls or does the
incremental disk based backup (which is located in another building than server
room) work?

Thanks,

David