Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula, Offsite, and Restores

2011-09-17 16:13:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula, Offsite, and Restores
From: Eric Pratt <eric.pratt AT etouchpoint DOT com>
To: Rodrigo Renie Braga <rodrigorenie AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 13:11:09 -0700
2011/9/17 Rodrigo Renie Braga <rodrigorenie AT gmail DOT com>:

> Well, in order to restore from the Copy tapes, yes, you have to purge the
> original
> tapes...
>
> But you don't have to purge the original tapes if you want to do a normal
> routine restore. Even if you pull out the Copy tapes from your library right
> after
> a Copy Job (which is the hole idea), your restores will work normally like
> there
> never was a Copy Job ran before...
>
> The original tapes will stay intact on your on-site location and you'll use
> these
> original tapes to do your restores. You will only use your "copy jobs" tapes
> in
> case of a disaster...

Yes, but what I am looking for is the easiest method for my team to
perform restores in case I'm not there, even if it is a restoration
from offsite volumes.  Having them go through the process of finding
the right volumes to purge and then purging them is something I don't
think they should have to learn how to do.  It's nice that the ability
is there in Bacula, but I think it's far too complicated for a robust
solution.  The solution needs to be easy and intuitive and merely
running a second client makes it ridiculously easy and intuitive.  I
think it's the right way to go for now.

Eric