Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] error restoring Exchange 2003

2011-09-16 07:22:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] error restoring Exchange 2003
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "Silver Salonen" <silver AT serverock DOT ee>, <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 21:19:56 +1000
> Maybe some of you have a good advice to give me...
>
> For quite a while we've backed up multiple Exchange servers with
different
> Bacula 5.x servers and although we have just managed to restore
Exchange
> 2007, we seem to be out of luck with Exchange 2003.
>
> While trying to restore directly into Exchange, the restore job
freezes at
> restoring .log files.

I see from another post that this is a restore of a full backup. That
should work without any problems.

Does the windows event log contain anything useful?

Does it hang on the last logfile or somewhere in the middle? Always the
same logfile?

If it hangs at a particular logfile you might be able to just not select
that and subsequent logfiles  and restore. If that works, you might be
able to restore only that logfile and subsequent logfiles (which will
fail but might still get the files on disk and then trying the first
restore should get you running again).

If it hangs on the last logfile then it's probably the actual restore
process that is hanging. That can take quite a while depending on the
database size. How big is the database? How long have you let it sit
for? While it is 'hung', run perfmon and see if there is lots of disk
activity.

James