Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Need some help

2011-08-15 17:17:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Need some help
From: Eric Pratt <eric.pratt AT etouchpoint DOT com>
To: Ignacio Cardona <ignaciocardona AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 14:14:47 -0700
2011/8/15 Ignacio Cardona <ignaciocardona AT gmail DOT com>:
> Dear all,
>             I will be very glad if someone could help me.  I have decided
> after many recommendations to implement Bacula software in the environment
> of my e-commerce. The version that I'm trying to test is Bacula 5.0.3. I
> have started reading the docs and all the stuff but I am completly mess up
> with the information. I have experience in backup tools (TSM, NetBackup,
> BackupEXEC). But in this case I cannot follow the installation guide so if
> someone could give me a hand by giving some advices or at least how to begin
> the instalation (I have downloaded the depackes and the Bacula 5.0.3) but my
> problem starts when I have to perform de ./configure I don't know how to
> configure it I mean when I use cat configure it looks like a script I have
> to edit it or I'm suppose to edit another different file? Could help me with
> that or give me some kind of guide more organize than the one that is on
> bacula.com or at least tell me the order in which I am suppose to follow it.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Don't hesitate in contact me for further questions!
>
> Ignacio Cardona.

You should check with your operating system's package manager to see
if it already has a bacula package.  Then you can just install the
packages from your package manager and ignore compiling bacula (ie. no
need to worry about ./configure.)

If your operating system does not have a package, you can always run
this command to get help with the configure script:

     ./configure --help

Generally, if you don't think you need any specific compile-time
options enabled, you can just type this:

     ./configure && make && make install

Make sure you are root when you run this.  The configure script will
automatically scan your system for you.  It prepares the software so
it can be compiled for your system.  Unless you get an error that
causes configure to exit, you wont have to do anything more than
what's above to get the software configured, compiled, and installed.
After that, you can start following the reference manual on
configuring your directory, storage, and file daemons.

Eric