Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] RHEL6 specfile?

2011-08-05 08:21:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] RHEL6 specfile?
From: Ben Walton <bwalton AT artsci.utoronto DOT ca>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 08:19:18 -0400
Excerpts from Alan Brown's message of Fri Aug 05 06:44:11 -0400 2011:
> Jason A. Kates wrote:
> > FYI: Bacula that's shipping with RHEL6....
>
> As I said on the users list - it's 5.0.0 and RH absolutely refuse to
> update to 5.0.3 (I've had a ticket in for a while about that)

This is normal behaviour for RHEL though...There are only two cases
I'm aware of where they will change the version during a support
window:

1. Something like Firefox that entirely abandons the old version.
2. Something like php, bind or samba where they'll ship a second
   version (php, php53; bind, bind97, etc) along side the originally
   shipping version.

As much as stale versions of apps can be annoying at times (I carry a
bunch of rpms locally to get newer versions), I'd prefer the stability
of backported fixes and no major surprises during version change.

Any security or major bug fixes are backported to the originally
shipping version.

HTH.

Thanks
-Ben