Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] User-defined variables

2011-07-29 14:44:13
Subject: [Bacula-users] User-defined variables
From: Dan Trainor <dan.trainor AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:41:53 -0700
Hi -

Did some digging and I can't come up with much.

Long story short, I'm trying to come up with a (semi-) intelligent way
to back up MySQL binary logs.

I've made areal good progress with this project, but would be elated
if I could find a way to set and subsequently pass user-defined
variables through a job.

Say for example, I have many clients to which I'd apply the same Job,
but those clients might need some one-off information.  In the case of
my MySQL project, I'd like to define a MySQL username, password, and
hostname in the Client resource which would then make those variables
available in all parts - FileSet, Job, and any other place I want.

Rather than creating a Job resource for each client, I want similar
(but not identical) processes to use the same Job specification.

Another reason why this becomes important is because, when backing up
binary logs on a MySQL master, I need to ask the slave which binary
log it last read, and delete previous binary logs off of the master -
using Bacula.  In order to get this "checkpoint" data, so that I know
which prior binary logs to delete, I'd need to not sabotage
replication by trying to delete an in-use binary log.

Long story short:  Is it possible to create and then use user-defined
variables throughout Bacula?

Thanks!
-dant