Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Concurrent client backups giving "waiting on Storage File" messages

2011-07-27 22:42:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Concurrent client backups giving "waiting on Storage File" messages
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Jeff Shanholtz <jeffsubs AT shanholtz DOT com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 22:40:01 -0400
On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Jeff Shanholtz <jeffsubs AT shanholtz DOT com>
wrote:
> I am trying to alter my Bacula configuration such that my backup jobs run
> concurrently since sometimes a client can be offline and I want to have
> Bacula wait up to 12 hours for that client to reappear without holding up
> the whole queue of client jobs. As best as I can tell I've got everything
> configured correctly but I still get "waiting on Storage File" status
> messages for all clients except one. Only one client is running at a time,
> although they all run successfully in sequential fashion.
>
> I am using a removable hard drive for the backup media with one file per
> client backup job. I have created separate pools, one per client, to ensure
> that the right job matches up with the right backup file. Otherwise I found
> that if an error occurred trying to start a backup of client #1, client #2
> would use client #1's backup file, causing confusion since the backup files
> are named after the client.
>
> I am still running version 3.0.3 since 5.0 doesn't have Windows director and
> storage binaries precompiled.
>
> Hopefully I've provided enough background, including what I believe is all
> of the relevant config  info below. So how do I fix this "waiting on Storage
> File" problem so I can get clients backing up concurrently?

Bacula can not load more than 1 volume in a storage device at a time
so your pool and volume policy prevent concurrency. To get around this
add more storage devices. And to ease the management of multiple
storage devices use the bacula vchanger to create a virtual disk
autochanger.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vchanger/

John M. Drescher