Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Remote backup, Failed to connect to Storage daemon

2011-07-25 04:09:23
Subject: [Bacula-users] Remote backup, Failed to connect to Storage daemon
From: scar <scar AT drigon DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 01:06:30 -0700

i got my local (home) backups going alright with TLS and everything, but
now i'm running into issues getting my remote work computers
communicating 100%.

to reiterate, i've currently got two systems at home, home1 and home2,
and two at work, work1 and work2.  the director and sd are both running
on home1, and i've fd's setup on home1, home2, and now work1.

my home1-dir - work1-fd TLS communication is OK, as i can query work1-fd
through bconsole running on home1.  i'm running into a problem when i
try to run the backup, and the communication between work1-fd and
home1-sd is botched.  i get this error:

24-Jul 23:40 home1-dir JobId 33: No prior Full backup Job record found.
24-Jul 23:40 home1-dir JobId 33: No prior or suitable Full backup found
in catalog. Doing FULL backup.
24-Jul 23:40 home1-dir JobId 33: Start Backup JobId 33,
Job=work1.2011-07-24_23.40.53_03
24-Jul 23:40 home1-dir JobId 33: Using Device "FileStorage"
24-Jul 23:41 work1-fd JobId 33: Fatal error: Failed to connect to
Storage daemon: home1.local:9103
24-Jul 23:41 home1-dir JobId 33: Fatal error: Bad response to Storage
command: wanted 2000 OK storage
, got 2902 Bad storage

it seems clear to me my remote work1 computer is trying to connect to a
non-local address (home1.local:9103).  currently this is what i have in
my dir.conf for the storage:

Storage {
  Name = File
  Address = home1.local
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "X"
  Device = FileStorage
  Media Type = File
  TLS Enable = yes
  TLS Require = yes
  TLS CA Certificate File = /etc/bacula/certs/myca.crt
  TLS Certificate = /etc/bacula/certs/home1.crt
  TLS Key = /etc/bacula/certs/home1.key
}

i thought it would be straightforward to just define another Storage
resource but instead using my home's dyndns address, with a new TLS cert
with the CN matching the dyndns address:

Storage {
  Name = RemoteFile
  Address = home.dyndns.org
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "X"
  Device = FileStorage
  Media Type = File
  TLS Enable = yes
  TLS Require = yes
  TLS CA Certificate File = /etc/bacula/certs/myca.crt
  TLS Certificate = /etc/bacula/certs/home.dyndns.org.crt
  TLS Key = /etc/bacula/certs/home.dyndns.org.key
}

then i updated the Job resource for work1-fd to use `Storage =
RemoteFile`, restarted the services on both machines, and now i'm
getting a damned TLS error!

25-Jul 00:29 home1-dir JobId 36: No prior Full backup Job record found.
25-Jul 00:29 home1-dir JobId 36: No prior or suitable Full backup found
in catalog. Doing FULL backup.
25-Jul 00:29 home1-dir JobId 36: Start Backup JobId 36,
Job=work1.2011-07-25_00.29.34_06
25-Jul 00:29 home1-dir JobId 36: Fatal error: TLS negotiation failed
with SD at "home.dyndns.org:9103"
25-Jul 00:29 home1-dir JobId 36: Fatal error: bnet.c:306 TLS host
certificate verification failed. Host name "home.dyndns.org" did not
match presented certificate

i'm certain though that i created the certificate with a CN of
"home.dyndns.org".