Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Automatic recycling of volumes/tapes

2011-07-14 06:54:25
Subject: [Bacula-users] Automatic recycling of volumes/tapes
From: "Carsten Pache" <pache AT vgr-gruppe DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 10:34:23 +0000
Hi there,

my name is Carsten and I am quite of new to Bacula.

Currently I have the following configuration:
- Bacula 5.0.3 installed on Ubuntu 11.04.
- LTO-3 tape drive connected to this machine.
- Six machines running Windows Server 2003 / 2008 to be backupped nightly
(mon-fri).
- Spooling is activated in Bacula.

The backup process by itself works. The problem I have is the recycling of the
tapes.

I am using ten tapes, labeled Mon_1, Tue_1,..., Fri_1 to be used during odd
calendar weeks respectively Mon_2, Tue_2,..., Fri_2 to be used during even
calendar weeks. Every backup is a full backup. The backup size for the six
Windows machines altogether is 250-300 GB; the capacity of one tape is 400 GB
uncompressed. The tapes are changed every morning.

After the first backup to a tape, the "VolStatus" of the tape/volume changes to
"Append". So when this tape is mounted again two weeks later, Bacula appends
the backup to this tape. Instead, how do I tell Bacula to use this tape from
the beginning?

This is my bacula-dir.conf (only the relevant parts):
-------------------------
#
# Bacula Director Configuration file
#
#  For Bacula release 5.0.3 (04 August 2010) -- ubuntu 11.04

JobDefs {
  Name                       = "BackupWindowsServer"
  Type                       = Backup
  Level                      = Full
  Storage                    = LTO-3
  Pool                       = Tape
  SpoolData                  = yes
  Messages                   = Standard
  Priority                   = 10
  Write Bootstrap            = "/var/lib/bacula/%c.bsr"
}

Job {
  Name                       = "SERVER1"
  JobDefs                    = "BackupWindowsServer"
  Client                     = server1-fd
  FileSet                    = "SERVER1-FileSet"
  Schedule                   = "SERVER1-Schedule"
  Pool                       = Tape
}

Job {
  Name                       = "SERVER2"
  JobDefs                    = "BackupWindowsServer"
  Client                     = server2-fd
  FileSet                    = "SERVER2-FileSet"
  Schedule                   = "SERVER2-Schedule"
  Pool                       = Tape
}

(...)

Job {
  Name                       = "SERVER6"
  JobDefs                    = "BackupWindowsServer"
  Client                     = server6-fd
  FileSet                    = "SERVER6-FileSet"
  Schedule                   = "SERVER6-Schedule"
  Pool                       = Tape
}

Schedule {
  Name                       = "SERVER1-Schedule"
  Run                        = Level=Full Pool=Tape mon-fri at 19:00
}

Schedule {
  Name                       = "SERVER2-Schedule"
  Run                        = Level=Full Pool=Tape mon-fri at 20:00
}

(...)

Schedule {
  Name                       = "SERVER6-Schedule"
  Run                        = Level=Full Pool=Tape mon-fri at 23:30
}

(...)

Pool {
  Name                       = Tape
  Pool Type                  = Backup
  Recycle                    = yes
  AutoPrune                  = yes
  Volume Retention           = 12 h
  Maximum Volume Bytes       = 0
  Maximum Volumes            = 0
  Storage                    = LTO-3
}
-------------------------

And this is bacula-sd.conf (only the relevant parts):

-------------------------
#
# Bacula Storage Daemon Configuration file
#
#  For Bacula release 5.0.3 (04 August 2010) -- ubuntu 11.04

(...)

Device {
  Name                       = LTO-3
  Media Type                 = LTO-3
  Archive Device             = /dev/nst0
  LabelMedia                 = yes
  Device Type                = Tape
  Automatic Mount            = yes
  Always Open                = yes
  Removable Media            = yes
  Random Access              = no
  Maximum File Size          = 2GB
  Spool Directory            = /media/BackupTMP