Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bextract 5.0.3/64bit hangs ? 100% cpu, no result

2011-07-11 12:12:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bextract 5.0.3/64bit hangs ? 100% cpu, no result
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:10:25 +0100

> Hello,
>
> I have installed bacula 5.0.3 on a CentOS 5.4 x86_64 system (RPM x86_64
> rebuilt from source) and it's working great since a year.
>
> After a mistake I mad, I need to restore my catalog.
> So I tried to use bextract in order to restore a 51 MB file from a
> volume-disk file of 20GB.
> bextract hangs a lot: 100% CPU used, no I/O wait at all.
> After several minutes of run, I stopped it without any success: restored file
> with created, but empty.
>
> Since I really need this file, I've tried the 32bit version of bextract on
> the same system: worked fine !
>
> I've tried to debug it by the use of strace, but I'm not clever enough to
> find anything usefull in these outputs.
> (please find the strace files attached to this email)
>
> So I don't know if it's a bug from the packaging or a bextract bug related to
> 64bit platform ?
>
> If someone has a clue ...

To find out where is it looping, attach gdb to the process when it is hanging
(use gdb -p $pidofbextract) and then issue the gdb commands

thread apply all bt
detach
quit

Do this a few times to get an idea of how it changes.

If you have debuginfo packages for bacula, then install them first.

__Martin