Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Job reuse

2011-07-09 20:49:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Job reuse
From: Craig White <craigwhite AT azapple DOT com>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 17:46:38 -0700
On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 19:18 -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> On Jul 9, 2011, at 4:03 PM, Craig White wrote:
>
> > Doesn't appear to be possible from a read thru of the documentation.
> >
> > I have a lot of jobs that are scheduled and running nightly.
> >
> > Now, we want to have another job with new pools that will be taken
> > off-site on a weekly basis.
>
> Are these identical to existing jobs already run?  Perhaps Copy Job is what
> you want.
>
> NOTE: a Copy Job will work only within one SD.  That is, the source and
> destination must both be the same SD.
>
> Some notes I wrote on setting up Copy Jobs:
>
> * http://www.freebsddiary.org/bacula-disk-to-tape.php
> * http://www.freebsddiary.org/bacula-disk-to-tape-via-sql.php
>
> > I can see that I can only have 1 schedule and 1 bootstrap file for each
> > job but is there a way to have a job be included in 2 schedules with a
> > different bootstrap for each schedule or do I have to define each job
> > again with, the difference being the schedule, pools, bootstrap files?
>
> No comment, pending your answer to the above question.
----
Thanks as usual for your excellent advice.

I don't think copy jobs is right for the scenario I am envisioning and I
didn't think it was necessary to lay out the whole backup strategy but
obviously it will help identify what I have in mind and perhaps there is
a better way.

Using a Dell PV-124T (16 LTO-4 tape magazine)

Currently, we have:
 Monthly Pools: 1, 2, 3
  1 for Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct
  2 for Feb, May, Aug, Nov
  3 for Mar, Jun, Sep, Dec
 Schedule:
  Full on the 1st
  Incr on all weekdays thereafter

My vision for the 'Off-Site' backup was
 - on the 2nd, take the previous months Monthy Pool home
 Pools: 8, 15, 22 (3 pools)
 Schedule:
  Incremental on the 8th of each month to Off-Site-8
  Incremental on the 15th of each month to Off-Site-15
  Incremental on the 22nd of each month to Off-Site-22
Full backups would only be run when the set of tapes is exhausted
(estimated at approximately 4-6 months)

Thus my plan would be to have independent jobs
- Monthly On-Site rotation (existing)
- Weekly Off-Site rotation (new)
backing up the same clients, the same filesets but obviously needing a
different Pool, Schedule and bootstrap file... almost the same jobs as
before (approximately 20 client jobs)

Craig

believed to be clean.