Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] New to Bacula - emergency situation.

2011-07-05 22:08:06
Subject: [Bacula-users] New to Bacula - emergency situation.
From: larold <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 18:37:06 -0700
I have been asked to support a Linux environment running Bacula on an emergency
basis. Bacula version is 3.0.1. I only have access to bconsole - no guis. I am
also completely brand new to Bacula as of a couple of hours ago. I have no
physical access to this server.

Basically, I need to determine how to massively reduce the Bacula disk
footprint (physical space the disk-based volume files are using) without adding
more data to disk.

This client has a Bacula server with 1.3+ TB of internal disk. It is completely
full. I used a 'tune2fs -m 1' to give me back some of the reserved space for
actual use and "breathing room". All Bacula data is written to a group of 70
files, each roughly 10 GB a piece. Reducing this footprint would help reduce
the filesystem from being 100% full.

There are 23 backup clients. I have set the File Retention on all jobs down to
21 days. (Was 60 days). I have set the Job Retention on all jobs down to 2
months (was 6 months.)

I would like to know, using bconsole commands only, the correct steps that will
result in fewer physical volume files (hence reduced disk usage) without
corrupting any of the data in place. I have a hunch it is some combination of
prune commands, followed by purges? I just don't know, and want to proceed
safely.

All advice much appreciated.

Please, no:
- Criticizing of the setup - it wasn't mine
- Suggestions that require anything complex outside of bconsole
- Vague descriptions that don't point me to specific steps
- Steps which require more than a couple GB of free disk space

Thanks!!