Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Deleting volumes in error

2011-03-22 16:14:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Deleting volumes in error
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 20:10:24 GMT

> Hi,
>
> We have recently experienced a tape drive failure in one of our autochangers.
> Unfortunately, I noticed this after the malfunctioning drive had already
> trashed quite a few tapes. I would like to get rid of corrupted tapes as
> seamlessly as possible (the drive has been already replaced and new one
> tested
> successfully). Can I just delete corresponding tape volumes in the catalog
> and
> expect bacula to catch up automatically? We normally run full backups every
> 2-3 months and incremental backups in between. If some of the incrementals
> were to be deleted, would bacula be able to roll back and find last available
> valid one to compare current file set against it? What I would like to avoid
> is
> starting from scratch, e.g., by running full backups for all our clients.

Possibly -- it depends on your requirements for restore.  Note that an
incremental backup only stores the changes since the last incremental (if
there is one).

If you delete some incrementals from the middle of the sequence then a
disaster recovery restore will fail to recover the current state.  To fix
that, you need to delete all incrementals from the time of the malfunctioning
drive up to the current one.  The next incremental will then contain all of
the changes since before the malfunctioning started.

Deleting a volume will delete all of the jobs on that volume.  You can also
delete jobs directly.

__Martin