Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Accurate backup and memory usage

2011-03-18 20:33:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Accurate backup and memory usage
From: "Gary R. Schmidt" <grs AT mcleod-schmidt.id DOT au>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 11:18:29 +1100
On 19/03/2011 6:47 AM, Christian Manal wrote:
[SNIP]
> Hm.. but this didn't happen until I switched the director to libumem and
> the servers runs several other services which didn't blow up with no
> memory. So it looks like it has something to do with dir+umem, doesn't it?

Libumem uses a *lot* more memory than the standard allocator.  See the
various man pages (man `man -k umem`), and the original "Slab" allocator
paper for lots of details.

And don't rely on nagios or the like to spot the sort of transient
memory spike that can be caused by bacula-fd, you need to crank it up to
look every few seconds.

        Cheers,
                Gary    B-)