Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Perforce backups

2011-03-18 07:58:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Perforce backups
From: Andre Lorenz <andre AT ns-cw DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 12:55:40 +0100
hi,
sure, i can share ;-) there is no secret. most stuff is from perforce-kb
/ -documentation
i have added lots links to p4  ;-)

lets pick up one smaller server.

    p4-master (active-server)
          -  /p4/database (size db.* 75GB)
                     there i am running ususal scripts for checkpointing
(offline-checkpoints)

http://kb.perforce.com/article/126/offline-checkpoints
                     plus permanent script fro replicate

http://www.perforce.com/perforce/r10.1/manuals/p4sag/10_replication.html

http://www.perforce.com/perforce/conferences/eu/2010/Presentations/Reb_Tyler-Realtime_Replication.slides.pdf
           - /p4/depot + /p4/data/ + other depots (at all 7TB+ on
different partitions [LVM would be helpfull if the system is growing])
                    this will be covered by rsyncd (without delete option)

then i have nightly rsync stuff to my p4hotspare-server (17TB at all)
            which is doing syncing checkpoints + journal files. and as
well the live db to different directory on slave-server (helped me
            lot of times [500+ users on this server])
            after submitting checkpoint the integrity of checkpoint will
be tested

http://kb.perforce.com/article/962/verifying-checkpoint-data-integrity

on hotspare-server i have installed my bacula client, default setup
(modified for my requirements). which writes the data to my library.
backup to tape will be nightly incemental ( 300Gb up to 2TB)  for a
whole month and once a month full backup.
after 2 full backups the old tapes will be reused, and bacula database
will be cleaned. a backuped file which is not in database
can easily resubmitted.

in this setup u will have some duplicates on backup.  the key thing is
to have consistent db.* files backuped.
u will have this in scenario.
1x life-system
1x backup-system -> tape
1x via rsync to dedicated location
+ checkpoints (once a night) -> tape
u will have your data on spare-server + tape

an other advantage is u can easily redirect your clients to spare-server
via simple change on your local dns.

it is important in case to start the backup with the db.* files. it is
less worse if a newly submitted file is stored on tape/disk/standby
server, as u will have this submit in database but not physical on
disk/tape/....

i am not sure if it is best practice, but works fur us ;-) also restore
works well with this. i was in bad condition to do partly restore from
my backuped data.

but most important part is reading backup and recovery from p4-site.
it depends on your environment / workflow if u just can do p4d -jc on
your site it should be done in minutes.
also important is to p4d -jr checkpoint this will help you keep the
btree database balanced.

i am not sure if u have everything on partition ;-) u should split
database, journal and depot.
if more p4-users came up, u should also strongly think about using
p4proxy and p4-broker.

you also should play with a scenario for restore. you can test this very
simple with a pc.
hopefully it will give u small idea.

andre