Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Accurate backup and memory usage

2011-03-15 06:28:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Accurate backup and memory usage
From: Christian Manal <moenoel AT informatik.uni-bremen DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 11:25:19 +0100
Am 15.03.2011 08:51, schrieb Ralf Gross:
> Christian Manal schrieb:
>> Thanks for the pointer. From Solaris 10 malloc(3C):
>>
>>      [...] After free()
>>      is executed, this space is made available for further  allo-
>>      cation  by  the application, though not returned to the sys-
>>      tem. Memory is returned to the system only upon  termination
>>      of  the  application. [...]
>>
>> So I have to restart Bacula after everything is done to get the memory
>> back. That kinda sucks and is clearly not Bacula's fault.
>

> you may want to take a look at 2 recent bug reports:
>
> 0001686: Memory Bacula-fd is not released after completed backup
> 0001690: memory leak in bacula-fd (with accurate=yes)
>
> http://bugs.bacula.org/
>
> Ralf

Thanks, but they don't seem to be relevant in this case. Both bugs are
reported for Linux and seem to be related to Linux' memory management.
Since I'm using Solaris I don't think this applies to me.

Also, after several accurate jobs running without restarting Bacula, the
total memory usage of the director and fd didn't go up anymore, so I
presume it comes down to the behavior of Solaris' free(), as described
in the above quoted manpage.

Regards,
Christian Manal