Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] A strange BAT anomaly, and a Bacula/MySQL/ZFS PSA

2011-03-08 22:08:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] A strange BAT anomaly, and a Bacula/MySQL/ZFS PSA
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 22:05:02 -0500
On 03/08/11 21:14, Guy wrote:
>> (The first tape always seems to be slow to fill, because many small
>> files are written to it.  It took seven hours to write 226GB of data to
>> the first tape, an average of about half a gigabyte per minute.  By the
>> time Bacula gets into the second tape, it's into the big storage array
>> which mostly contains multi-megabyte to multi-gigabyte files, and it's
>> now writing about 1.3GB/minute.)
>
> Are you spooling?  If not you should try it. It will speed up your backs no
> end and prolong the life of your tapes. Prevents the shoeshine effect.

I'm not, at the moment.  I recently turned on Accurate, and it's slowed
things down enormously.  I'm about to quadruple the amount of memory on
the server, though, which should greatly increase the performance of
both ZFS and MySQL, and hopefully gain me back at least most of that.
Before turning on Accurate, I was feeding backup data to the LTO2 as
fast as it could write it.  I still haven't decided yet whether the
benefit of accurate backup is worth that huge of a performance hit to
me, but I'm leaning towards "No, not really."  If the memory upgrade
doesn't get me back to what I consider acceptable backup throughput, I
will turn Accurate back off.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.