Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula Daemon Messages

2011-03-08 10:09:23
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula Daemon Messages
From: Jeremy Maes <jma AT schaubroeck DOT be>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 16:05:47 +0100
Hey

As I'm rolling out bacula to more and more clients I've been seeing
quite a few "Bacula Daemon Messages" in my (and thus also in my
clients') mailbox.

 From what I've read these are messages that aren't tied to any specific
job, but they seem to be saved until I open the bconsole on a clients'
server. As soon as I do, there will be an email sent if there is any
messages in the buffer. This is quite annoying as whenever I check
something or change a setting, my clients will get an email they
(usually) don't understand. Then I'll get a call to give an explanation,
etc...

Now usually they're harmless messages like these:
- 08-Mar 11:27 server1-dir JobId 0: Max configured use duration=86,400
sec. exceeded. Marking Volume "Dinsdag-0009" as Used.

Sometimes they should be linked to a jobid but aren't:
- 01-Mar 12:02 nbocholt-dir JobId 0: 2001 Job
Backupnbocholt.2011-02-28_21.00.00_03 marked to be canceled.

Now I was wondering:
- Is there a way to turn off the functionality where it sends these
messages whenever I check the bconsole? And instead just get them
attached to normal daily job mails? This seems to happen for most
clients if I didn't check bconsole that day already.
- Is it safe to just turn off daemon messages (ie: do they ever contain
critical information not contained in normal backup messages or logs?)
If so: how do I best turn them off? Delete the Daemon messages resource,
just append them to the logs, only mail them on error, ...?

Kind regards,
Jeremy

 **** DISCLAIMER ****
http://www.schaubroeck.be/maildisclaimer.htm