Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Configuration for Copy Jobs questions

2011-03-07 20:22:36
Subject: [Bacula-users] Configuration for Copy Jobs questions
From: Mike Brady <mike.brady AT devnull.net DOT nz>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 14:19:04 +1300
I have been working on a configuration for backing up to disk during
the evening and then copying the volume(s) to tape using a copy job
during the day.  I have previously only used Bacula to back up to disk
volumes and need some pointers on how to solve a couple of issues that
I am running out of time to resolve.

My first issue is that a copy job will only copy a volume if it has a
status of full, used or error.  For the most part I have always used
"Volume Use Duration" when using disk volumes.  This leaves the volume
in append mode until the next usage, so "last nights" volumes are not
selectable for copying "today".  At the moment I have used "Max Volume
Jobs = 1" which gives me multiple volumes in a "used" state to copy.
This works and I do not have an issue with it, but I was wondering if
there is away of "forcing" the Volume Use Duration" to take effect
prior to the next use of the volume?

My second issue is with the loading and unloading of tapes.  I want to
users to load and unload tapes as prompted by emails.  The users will
have no bconsole access.  The system is Centos 5.5 with an HP Ultrium
920 LTO3 tape drive.  I have tried a few things but cannot find an SD
configuration that does not require the manual mounting/unmounting of
tapes most of the time.  Am I correct in assuming that the only way to
do this reliably to is to use a "virtual auto-changer" script"?  If so
does the ak-mtx-changer.txt script that is on the distribution
examples directory work with Bacula 5.0.3?  I found some information
that suggested that it does not and just what to understand what I am
getting into before I go there :-)

Thanks

Mike