Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] vchanger on a NAS

2011-03-06 11:32:00
Subject: [Bacula-users] vchanger on a NAS
From: MaxxAtWork <maxxatwork AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 18:28:13 +0200
Hello,

I would like to run Bacula on my Synology NAS to take backups on
external SATA disks,
using an additional USB dock.

I see that there is a vchanger tool available to manage the operation
of replacing disk volumes,
but the requirements of the tool are not easy to meet with what the NAS offers.

As I read from the vchanger howto document, two components are required:
- udev with a /dev/disk/by-uuid structure
- autofs daemon

The NAS in question doesn't have udev, it doesn't keep a by-uuid
structure for the disks,
and it doesn't have autofs daemon.
But, it runs hotplug, and as soon as a new disk is inserted, it is
recognized as /dev/sdq and
automatically mounted as /volumeUSB1/usbshare (always).
Also, using an additional tool (blkid) it is possible to query the
uuid of the filesystems present.

Do you think it would be possible to make vchanger work with what's available?
If so, can you please suggest what to put in its configuration file?

Thanks
--
Maxx