Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Can I use Bacula to backup...

2011-01-29 15:44:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Can I use Bacula to backup...
From: Guy <guy AT britewhite DOT net>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 20:41:25 +0000
Yes it's possible, but you'll have to install Bacula on each site.

You'll need the client installed on everything that you want to backup, and
you'll need to pick one system to NFS mount the fileserver and be used as the
SD ( storage device). Something possibly the same as the SD will then be the
DIR (director) which manages the backup for that site.

I think the DIR sees the data as it passes on the wire from the FD to the SD so
you'll want one DIR on each site so that you don't see data across the WAN.

So you'll not be able to use a single Bacula to control it all, however in my
opinion that's a good thing.  Making it less complex when having to do a
restore when your the most stressed is a good thing.

I store my Bacula configurations in a subversion version control system.  This
means that I can push the configs to where I want them and also manage them
centrally. I also have the ability to track changes done on the configuration
files.

---Guy

Sent from my iPad