Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] conf file: Volume naming question

2011-01-24 02:04:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] conf file: Volume naming question
From: Randy Katz <rkatz AT simplicityhosting DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 23:01:08 -0800
On 1/23/2011 9:54 PM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> @Joseph, thanks, however I am a bit confused, I will end up with many
>> Pools, correct? Will they have different names? How does the Job select
>> each Pool?
> Nope, you create the 45 volumes in each pool as per your config snippet.
>
>> As for my comment about whether I *should* care has to do with concept
>> of Bacula with tape devices vs my concept and hard disk storage, I saw
>> many of the tools
>> that say if you are using this tool you did something wrong...
> Well, I don't know about that, but I gathered you were concerned about
> the cosmetic appearance of the volume incremented names being global
> and not pool specific. If you have a new setup without any volumes, and
> run a job that uses PoolName2, the first volume will be "0" then if you if
> your next job requires a volume from PoolName3, it will have the next
> "1" increment etc... Maybe I am unclear about your concern still?
>
>> At any rate if you have an example of what the Pools will look like and
>> how the Job's will use them that would be really really helpful, thanks.
> Your config looks fine, so as my last email outlined, you will have 45 volumes
> in each pool and your job can specify the pool you want. Volume use/rotation
> can be tuned according the manual:
> http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html#SECTION002630000000000000000

I am confused as to what 45 volumes in each pool will look like, you say
my config is fine, my Pool looks like this, I have no idea what the
syntax for 45 volumes will be, you say ServerName2-1, ServerName2-2,
etc... but what variable and where does it go?

Pool {
    Name = PoolName2
    Use Volume Once = yes
    Pool Type = Backup