Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] conf file: Volume naming question

2011-01-24 00:15:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] conf file: Volume naming question
From: Randy Katz <rkatz AT simplicityhosting DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 21:13:16 -0800
On 1/23/2011 8:49 PM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> Is there a way to get each ServerName/Volume name to cycle its own set
>> of sequential numbers?
>> Should I care about this? Why or why not?
> /snip
>
>>    Maximum Volumes = 45
>>    Recycle = yes
> I can't comment on whether or not you*should* care, but if you do I see
> a similar  config to one specific setup I maintain. Since you have a finite
> number of vols, they recycle, just use a script to pre-create all 45 volumes
> under the specific convention you want, then let it loose on them. Names
> won't change as the max vols in the pool have been reached, it will just
> cycle through them. Should only take a minute to do with a simple bash
> script.
>
> ServerName2-1
> ServerName2-2
> ServerName2-45
>
> ServerName3-1
> ServerName3-2
> ServerName3-45

@Joseph, thanks, however I am a bit confused, I will end up with many
Pools, correct? Will they have different names? How does the Job select
each Pool?
As for my comment about whether I *should* care has to do with concept
of Bacula with tape devices vs my concept and hard disk storage, I saw
many of the tools
that say if you are using this tool you did something wrong...

At any rate if you have an example of what the Pools will look like and
how the Job's will use them that would be really really helpful, thanks.

Randy