Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Choice of DB for catalog

2011-01-18 04:57:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Choice of DB for catalog
From: Bart Swedrowski <bart AT timedout DOT org>
To: Arunav Mandal <dibun AT hotmail DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:55:06 +0000

On 18 January 2011 09:18, Arunav Mandal <dibun AT hotmail DOT com> wrote:
Our catalog is around 16GB and at times I have seen mysql been slow. I am
using Mysql 5.0.77. Is there any easy way to migrate from Mysql to Postgres

With this kind of problems and when catalog is getting that big it's not a matter of choosing either MySQL or PostgreSQL.

It's just your database has grown quite and you need to perform performance tuning and optimisation, in both, hardware and software areas.  Simply migrating to PostgreSQL is not going to solve your problems and quite likely is going to introduce new problems (eg. migration related).

If you don't know how to do this (tuning) better find someone who will do this for you.  Alternatively if you can take the risk and have got time -> Google and MySQL performance tuning will be a good place to start.

I feel much more comfortable with PostgreSQL and have a catalog that size is over 25GB these days.  I remember that default configuration stopped being sufficient when DB reach around 2GB size.  A bit of software tuning + hardware considerations + Bacula jobs organisations (so not all Full backups are running on one day) and it's all nice and dandy.