Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] newbie question

2011-01-17 17:03:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] newbie question
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Randy Katz <rkatz AT simplicityhosting DOT com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 17:00:50 -0500
On 1/17/2011 4:35 PM, Randy Katz wrote:
> Dan, if you don't want me on the list I understand, I know where the
> On 1/17/2011 7:52 AM, Dan Langille wrote:
>> On 1/17/2011 10:42 AM, Randy Katz wrote:
>>> Hi, new to list, saw a bunch of docs, can anyone recommend a quick
>>> start, with mysql, that includes a run
>>> through of backing up a remote server. I have already compiled and
>>> installed bacula with mysql, have not done
>>> any configuration yet. Thank you in advance.
>>
>> First, when posting a message, use a descriptive subject.
>>
>> The quick start is in the docs. :)
>>
>> http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Getting_Started_with_Bacula.html

> Dan, if you don't want me on the list I understand,

You ask a very specific question and were provided with a very specific
answer.  Not once, but the same answer by two different people.

Concluding that I don't want you on the list is just plain silly.  :)

> I know where the  docs are,

Well, you didn't say anything about having read a particular part of the
docs and having been confused by it....  Thus, assuming you hadn't found
the Getting Started docs was rather reasonable.

> if they told me
> how to get a quick start test up and running I wouldn't have asked the
> stupid newbie question,

But you didn't ask a stupid newbie question.

 > this
> guide tells me about doing it but not what to do just says I need to
> modify the conf files but does'nt
> give a clue how:
>
> http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Getting_Started_with_Bacula.html

Well, get specific with your questions...  How do I configure this
particular item?   For example.

> I guess newbie's are not welcome here? Seems quite strange, enjoy!

Trolling ignored, but if you want hand holding, sorry, we've got other
things to do.  If you have a *specific* question about some aspect of
the documentation, we're happy to help.

As for a quick-how-go.... it's there....  Point out a paragraph, and ask
a question.  We're happy to help, but not with a broad question such as:
wtf is going on, I have no idea....

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/