Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Using one job config for multiple individual file backups?

2011-01-15 13:15:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Using one job config for multiple individual file backups?
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>, Silver Salonen <silver AT ultrasoft DOT ee>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 19:09:14 +0100
2011/1/15 Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
No.  I don't know enough about the internals of the Director to know why
it is unsafe, but experience has shown that it is.  Sooner or later, a
reload ... perhaps overwrites a buffer or pointer that's in use, perhaps
tries to replace a structure that is locked because it's in use, I don't
know exactly what happens; but the reload fails, and from then on the
Director doesn't work properly until it's restarted.

Well,  "Use the source, Luke" :)

A function "void reload_config(int sig)" explains how it works internally:

/*
 * If we get here, we have received a SIGHUP, which means to
 *    reread our configuration file.
 *
 * The algorithm used is as follows: we count how many jobs are
 *   running and mark the running jobs to make a callback on
 *   exiting. The old config is saved with the reload table
 *   id in a reload table. The new config file is read. Now, as
 *   each job exits, it calls back to the reload_job_end_cb(), which
 *   decrements the count of open jobs for the given reload table.
 *   When the count goes to zero, we release those resources.
 *   This allows us to have pointers into the resource table (from
 *   jobs), and once they exit and all the pointers are released, we
 *   release the old table. Note, if no new jobs are running since the
 *   last reload, then the old resources will be immediately release.
 *   A console is considered a job because it may have pointers to
 *   resources, but a SYSTEM job is not since it *should* not have any
 *   permanent pointers to jobs.
 */

bye

--