Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Issue with data encryption with Windows 7 client?

2011-01-13 11:41:55
Subject: [Bacula-users] Issue with data encryption with Windows 7 client?
From: Timothy Kallinis <tkallinis AT hrsmart DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:37:49 -0500
Hi, I intend to use Bacula to backup clients in a small office
environment. The clients are Windows XP, Windows 7 and Linux (generally
Ubuntu). I prefer to use PKI data encryption.

The server running director, storage and file daemons is running the
latest version of Ubuntu Server 10.10 (64-bit). Bacula is installed and
running in a chroot on this server. I used the Ubuntu Bacula packages
version 5.0.2-1ubuntu1.

I've only been testing so far and the clients are the Bacula server, a
laptop running ubuntu and a new Dell laptop running Windows 7 (64-bit).
Backing up and restoring with encryption works perfectly fine with both
ubuntu clients. Backing up and restoring also works with Windows 7
without encryption.

However, there are issues when I use PKI encryption with Windows 7.
Backup with encryption appears to succeed. When I try to recover to the
Windows 7 client, it fails. When I try to restore on the ubuntu server
using its client, the FD segfaults. The version of FD installed on the
Windows 7 client is win64bacula-5.0.2.exe. I haven't tried Windows XP or
32-bit clients.

The ubuntu FD is able to restore the one file from the Windows client
I'm using for testing before it segfaults. The restore appears to
decrypt and be okay. On the Windows client, the file is not restored.

Any idea why this would happen? Is it a known issue? It almost seems
like something is missing on the Windows 7 laptop related to data
encryption: "Failed to initialize decryption context". I generated the
keys and cert according to the Bacula instructions on the ubuntu server.
It does work perfectly fine for the ubuntu laptop backing up over 3 GB
of data and restoring it.

I should also state that the storage used is file storage to the hard
drive on the Bacula server, so no tape drives.

On the Windows 7 client, the error is:

13-Jan 09:34 tk-fd JobId 127: Error:
/tmp/bacula/bacula/src/filed/restore.c:542 Failed to initialize
decryption context for
/data/bacula-restores/C/Users/tkallinis/Documents/Backup/backup-test.txt
13-Jan 09:34 backupca-dir JobId 127: Error: Bacula backupca-dir 5.0.2
(28Apr10): 13-Jan-2011 09:34:09

On the ubuntu client, this is the error:

13-Jan 09:42 backup-fd JobId 128: Error: restore.c:1003 Signature
validation failed for file
/data/bacula-restores/C:/Users/tkallinis/Documents/Backup/backup-test.txt:
ERR=Signature is invalid
13-Jan 09:42 backupca-dir JobId 128: Fatal error: Socket error on Store
end command: ERR=No data available
13-Jan 09:42 backupca-dir JobId 128: Error: Bacula backupca-dir 5.0.2
(28Apr10): 13-Jan-2011 09:42:28

This is the relevant client config on Windows 7:

FileDaemon {                            # this is me
   Name = tk-fd
   FDport = 9102                # where we listen for the director
   WorkingDirectory = "C:\\Program Files\\Bacula\\working"
   Pid Directory = "C:\\Program Files\\Bacula\\working"
# Plugin Directory = "C:\\Program Files\\Bacula\\plugins"
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10

   PKI Encryption = Yes
   PKI Signatures = Yes
   PKI Keypair = "C:/Program Files/Bacula/tk-fd.pem"
   PKI Master Key = "C:/Program Files/Bacula/master.cert"
}

The client config on the ubuntu Bacula server:

FileDaemon {                          # this is me
   Name = backup-fd
   FDport = 9102                  # where we listen for the director
   WorkingDirectory = /var/lib/bacula
   Pid Directory = /var/run/bacula
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
   FDAddress = backup-ca.hrsmart.com

   PKI Signatures = Yes
   PKI Encryption = Yes
   PKI Keypair = "/etc/bacula/master.keypair"
}

--
Timothy Kallinis, Linux Systems Administrator

HRsmart Canada
30 Centurian Drive, Unit 101
Markham, Ontario L3R 8B8
T: 905.754.0200 x243