Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Can I delete from a tape volume only the files written in the last backup job?

2011-01-12 18:20:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Can I delete from a tape volume only the files written in the last backup job?
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 01:16:47 +0200
"Barrett, Christian" <cbarrett AT ucsd DOT edu> kirjoitti viestissä
news:80C8D4AF-04F7-4B29-ADDB-66D2DBF2B044 AT ucsd DOT edu...
> Hi all,
> For some reason that I haven't figured out, Bacula ran a backup job
> twice---resulting in a duplicate backup of files onto a single tape
> Volume. Is it possible to physically erase the last job's files from tape
> and reset the tape position to where it was before the last job?
>
> One way I can think that this might be possible... Would it be advisable
> to use the bsf ("backspace file") command in btape and then write
> end-of-file (with weof)? (I would only have to backspace about a dozen
> files, so this option would be practical. Also, maybe the command bsr is
> better, but I'm not sure what a "record" is in Bacula.)
>
> Following tape erasure of the duplicate job's files, I assume that the
> catalog entry for the job can be removed with the 'purge' command.

Unless you are a real Bacula guru, I advice to not even think about doing
it. As far as I know, it would be a completely unsupported operation,
requiring also catalog manipulation (not only deleting the last job, but
other hacks too) in addition to "backspacing" in the physical volume.

You'd better accept the fact that the extra job is in the volume until you
some day perhaps recycle the whole volume.

Regards,
Timo