Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Help on retention period

2011-01-12 10:38:48
Subject: [Bacula-users] Help on retention period
From: Valerio Pachera <sirio81 AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 16:35:51 +0100
Now that I have clear how schedule works, I have to be aware to not
waste my basckups but also to not fill up my disk storage.

Examine this example:

Schedule {
       Name = "ScheduleTest"
       Run = Full 1st-5th sun at 23:05
       Run = Incremental mon-sat at 23:05
}

We have a full backup each week.

SCOPE: We want the possibility of restore any file till 2 weeks ago.

If I set a volume retention period of two weeks:
uring the first week I can restore data form the fist full backup and
its incrementals;
the second week I can restore data of the fist week and the sconed week as well;
(pipes represent full backup, underscore incremental)

| _ _ _ _ _ _ | _ _ _ _ _ _

at sunday of the third week, the first full backup get overwritten.

_ _ _ _ _ _ | _ _ _ _ _ _ |

This means that, of the first week, I can only restore file present in
the incremental backup.
In other words I do not have a cicle of 2 weeks but 1.

- Using a retention period of 3 week I achive the scope. Is it right?

Generalizing: if I want a "history" of n if have to set a retention
perdiod of n + 1.
Example:
1 month -> 2 months retention
3 week -> 4 weeks retention

I read that job retention period is 180 days by default and 60 days
for file retention period.
I wonder when/why it can be usefull to have such big difference.
- In other words: wouldn't it be logic to have volume, file, and jobe
retention perios to be the same.

Your consideration will be appreciate.

Thank you.