Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Serializing catalog backup

2011-01-10 16:22:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Serializing catalog backup
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 16:20:12 -0500
On 01/10/11 15:48, Mike Ruskai wrote:
> I know how to backup the database.  That's not my question.  My question
> is how to create a schedule, in an environment with multiple concurrent
> jobs, that guarantees that the catalog backup runs after all other
> scheduled jobs, and by itself.
>
> So if I have three machines currently running a backup job
> simultaneously, the catalog backup has to wait until they finish, even
> if the maximum number of concurrent jobs is four.  Once they do finish,
> and the catalog backup starts, no other jobs can start until the catalog
> backup is complete.
>
> Can this be done in Bacula, or do I need to do custom synchronization in
> run-before scripts?

If you set the Catalog job to a lesser priority (say, 15, where the
highest priority is 1, and most normal jobs are priority 10), you
guarantee that the Catalog job will not be started while any
higher-priority job is running.

Guaranteeing that no higher-priority job can start while the Catalog job
is running is a more difficult problem, but one that usually isn't an
issue unless you typically have jobs running around the clock and being
started at varying intervals.  However, since the DB dump or snapshot
that typically starts most DB backup schemes should be an atomic
operation that occurs with the tables locked, if another job starts
while your catalog job is running it really shouldn't matter.  It's not
going to be able to modify the catalog while the catalog is being dumped.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.