Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] FileSet Question...

2011-01-09 17:47:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] FileSet Question...
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Kianusch Sayah Karadji <kianusch+bacula AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 17:45:08 -0500
On 1/9/2011 5:28 PM, Kianusch Sayah Karadji wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to backup (actually to archive) lots of data.  24 filesystems -
> each filesystem containing 2Mio+ files / 700GB.
>
> I need to save the data only once - since they do not change after they
> are written.
>
> To have better control over what to backup and not to have a single
> backup run for several days, I thought I'd use File="\|/myScript.sh" in
> my fileset definition - and myScript.sh will return the next directory
> to backup - the first time it should return /Directory001, the next time
> /Directory002, ... (This script works already)

Good.

> The question is - will this idea work with bacula? - Will this setup
> always perform Full Backups - (since the Fileset changes on each run) -
> or will Incremental also work?
>
> ... or ... are there other/better solutions for this kind of backup?

I think you should just try it, with a very simple set of files.  The
answer will become obvious immediately.

Offhand, and based on my doing similar, it is not the list of files
which determines a new FileSet, is the specification thereof.  In short,
you'll get a full the first time.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/